Job Type: Principal GIS Technician
Job Reference: PGT-01
Reporting to the GIS Manager the successful candidate will support the management of geographic information and systems across the business as part of a team of GIS technicians. You will support with implementation of innovative strategies for data provision and management solutions for our data while ensuring its integrity. The role will primarily involve the management of spatial data from a magnitude of data providers.
The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining, updating and creating vast amounts of spatial data, GIS and data management applications and processes. They will ensure our data requirements are met on a day to day basis and the accuracy / integrity of our data. The Principal GIS Specialist will be responsible for a number of core data processes using (including but not limited to); FME, MapInfo, ArcGIS, Python with a keen eye for process streamlining wherever possible. The ideal candidate should have experience managing staff as they will be responsible for a small team of GIS technicians in support of the GIS Manager. Candidates should be educated to at least degree level or similar in a GIS or earth sciences subject and or with a minimum of 5 years’ experience. Proven proficiency using the aforementioned applications is essential.
- Data management, update and maintenance.
- Ensure accuracy and integrity of Groundsure data.
- Quality assurance and delivery of Groundsure products.
- Identify areas for process streamlining and workflow efficiencies – providing effective solutions to enable this.
- Product development and CPD, prioritising according to business need.
- Identify business training requirements and suggesting solutions accordingly.
- Internal and external stakeholder engagement. Including clients and data providers.
- Technical GIS support for teams throughout Groundsure.
- Testing and verification of new data acquisitions.
- Maintain core GIS processes at Groundsure.
- Line management to GIS technicians, sharing knowledge by coaching and mentoring.
- Regular performance and objective reporting.
Qualifications & Experience
- Educated to MSc in GIS or related subject. Other qualifications with extensive experience will be considered.
- Advanced knowledge/ experience using MapInfo and ArcGIS suit of products.
- Experience of open source GIS including QGIS and GeoServer.
- Knowledge of database management – handling variety of large and complex datasets from a variety of data sources.
- Experience using FME, SQL and Python.
- Knowledge of Ordnance Survey suite of mapping products beneficial.
Skills & Qualities
- Adept with Microsoft Office Suite
- Organised & able to multi-task.
- Adept at numeracy and geometry.
- Methodical approach.
- Precise and accurate, a high attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Works well within a team.
- Good analytical / problem solving skills
- Solid understanding of the concept of data in relational databases.
- Genuine enthusiasm to learn and find solutions.
The ability to work self-sufficiently, demonstrate resilience and the willingness to challenge and innovate are highly desirable. The role holder must embrace and consistently demonstrate Groundsure’s key values; being right first time, being ambitious with integrity, never stop improving and expert at what you do.
Maintaining skills and knowledge of developments / innovations within the wider GIS sector is encouraged to ensure continued development of the GIS department.
Please send your C.V and covering letter to email@example.com or contact if you have any enquiries prior to applying.